Thursday, September 22, 2016

Day 61, Sept 22. Newport, RI to Coventry, RI

When I asked Guy what he does with the fish
 he catches, his face screwed up and he 
announced that he hates the taste of fish! 
He gives them all away.
One of the best aspects of this trip is the conversations we have with folks who ask where we are headed or where we came from. John and I are approachable people. Strangers rarely hesitate to approach us on any random day; perhaps because we like to help or share stories with the people we meet. Add to that, our unusual bike and old bodies in Lycra, and the welcome mat always seems to be out. 

Most are amazed, inspired, or flat out think we are nuts, but this morning was special indeed. We stopped in the parking lot of a Lobster Pot restaurant next to a lovely bay to take a couple photos. As we were walking away from the bike, a gentleman who was pulling fishing gear out of his trunk announced, "Nice to see young people out on bikes together." 

We smiled and started taking photos of the bay.  One thing led to another and the gentleman began asking the usual questions. He was amazed and asked if he could take our picture. "I have to show this to the guys, they won't believe it!" he gushed. 



It really was a beautiful day.

Turns out the gentleman's name is Guy, and he fishes in this bay everyday. In his words, "What the heck, I'm 88 and retired, I can do what I want." I wanna be Guy when I'm 88. 


Tomorrow we will enter our seventh state, Connecticut. Later next week we'll be in New Jersey visiting some of John's Jersey friends.

No comments: