Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 38 Napoleon to Sandusky, OH

The road between Napoloen and Sandusky Ohio is flat. Really flat. I can describe it best using 2 words: corn and soybeans or soybeans and corn, if you like. This was the 6 of 7 days riding in a row and it's 90 miles between Napoleon and Sandusky. Luckily, the weather was pleasant.

We're home! NOT
In Bowling Green (25 miles down the road) we stopped at Cycle Werks, a bike shop that had agreed to open its doors early for us. John and I arrived about 8:45 and the store was open for business. If you are ever in Bowling Green, stop by. Cycle Werks is a well stocked shop with knowledgeable staff.  I sent my leg warmers home when we hit warm weather. Unfortunately, the mornings can still be cool and my knees have begun to ache. Coincidence? I think not, so I picked up a pare of knee warmers. I also got another small helmet light since mile was pretty darn dim. I never thought to bring an extra, but then again, I never thought the one on my helmet would burn out this soon. I say this soon, because I just put a new one on for this trip but when I think about the hours it is on...

Katlynn with her beloved New York Times.
Eagle-eye John spotted a coffee shop just a couple of doors down from the bike shop and we wandered over. Grounds for Thought is a coffee, pastry and book store. Great combination. We each had coffee and a doughnut. It was a great break.

The rest of the ride went uneventfully until we hit camp. We were at a KOA kamping (their spelling, not mine!) grounds and heard through the grapevine that for $4 per person, we could upgrade to an air conditioned cabin. We were all over that. Woo hoo! air conditioning and we don't have to set up a tent! Sandusky is a large town and thus had many deliver-to-the-camp options. While John walked to a local restaurant, Jessica and I ordered salad and pizza.



Yet another wind farm. We've seen them in every state.  If you look carefully, you can see another whole row on the right.


Sandusky is also home to Cedar Point, a huge amusement park. There was even a shuttle from the campgrounds to the park. Many of the riders took advantage of the bus and went there. John and I have been to Cedar Point many a time with the kids, so we opted for food and rest.

1 comment:

Wyatt's Dog said...

Only us mere mortals need Cedar Point... YOU have made your own thrill ride!! : )
Persevere and finish strong!