Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 8 and 9 - Thompson Falls to Missoula, MT

I've been run over by a truck. I didn't see it coming or going, no one witnessed the event, but it had to have happened 'cause it is the only explanation for the way I feel. Today is a day off and so far (4PM) I've gotten a massage, eaten breakfast and slept. As I write, I have my feet up, lounging on the couch wondering if I can get dinner delivered.

Just outside of Thompson Falls on SR 200
Our first 100 mile day began at Minnie's Diner: Cream of Wheat for me, bacon and eggs for John and coffee all around. We were off to a good start and feeling positive about the day. This was not our first 100 mile ride this summer, and we were not intimidated.  It was cold -low 40's- so we were bundled up. The view, as usual, was gorgeous.

 As we rode we encountered a monster, but thankfully it was behind a fence.

Just before Paradise in someone's yard.
 At 30 miles we had 2nd breakfast in Paradise, MD at the Paradise Cafe. Great food and fun people. We rode on taking off layers as the day warmed. If the ride had stopped at 80 miles, I could have gone Salsa dancing that night (if I knew how to Salsa dance), but it didn't. Closing in on 70 miles we noticed the slowing of the bike. We couldn't figure it out. The road looked flat. We stopped to check the tires out... fine, so on we rode. Thankfully one of our Garmin gifted riders came by a let us know that we were going up hill, just s  l  o   w  l  y. It was a 2% grade; usually no big deal. However after twenty miles of 2-3% grade and a short, but impressive 6% hill, all humor went out the door. At 90 miles we were not happy campers, lucky the last 10 miles was mostly downhill. We arrived at Missoula University just in time to eat a hasty dinner. We'll live to pedal another day. Tomorrow we head to Avon.

3 comments:

Wyatt's Dog said...

Perseverance! You totally rock.
Hugs to you (gentle hugs so as to not exacerbate your truck injuries.)

Ron said...

Glad to see you're posting photos. Very nice. I think when you go over Bozeman pass, it's all downhill til Pennsylvania.

RTG said...

Margret, what you need is a little sarcasm. Like I tell my 4th year medical students when I'm teaching, "Oh, I'm sorry you thought this was supposed to be easy" You are tackling a supremely difficult process and doing incredibly well. As Red Green so aptly states "Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together" Rick